The main objectives are
- Discuss key aspects of lifelong learning and education in the perspective of sustainable development.
- Innovate concepts and practices in application of the United Nations principles of Lifelong Learning and education for sustainable development.
- Reinforce international multidisciplinary and multicultural cooperation among different actors on diverse levels and modalities (formal and informal) of the education system – such as higher education (educators, researchers and administrators) – as well as that of civil society and the private sector.
- Encourage the creation of local, national, regional and international networks to promote lifelong learning and education in order to achieve sustainable development goals.
- Develop recommendations to UNESCO and other specialized agencies (within and out of the United Nations system), governments, the international education community and civil society.
- Key aspects of lifelong learning and education for sustainable development are identified.
- Innovative concepts and practices of lifelong learning and education for sustainable development are documented.
- New forms of cooperation between relevant Lifelong Learning and Education actors are established.
- A set of recommendations addressed to UNESCO and other agencies and actors are formulated.